Mari Simmulson (1911 - 2000), Woman & Cat dish, number 4062, designed for Upsala-Ekeby, Sweden. Year: 1952-63; Size: 8.7” x 8.7.” Signed: “mari simmulson, DEK. B”; Marked: “UE, 4062, maris.” Price: SOLD
Mari Simmulson (1911-2000) was born to Estonian parents in St Petersburg, Russia. At the start of the Russian revolution in 1917, the family moved back to Estonia. During the 1930s, Mari studied at the State Art School in Tallinn. After her formal education, Mari further developed her skills at the nearby Arabia porcelain factory in Helsinki. After marrying, Simmulson moved to Munich where she studied sculpture. When World War II began, she fled to Sweden. In 1945, she began working at Gustavsbergs Porcelain Factory.
Mari Simmulson left Gustavsberg in 1949, taking a position at Upsala-Ekeby. Together with Hjordis Oldfors and Ingrid Atterberg, she completed a trio of influential women designers who set the tone for the company in the fifties. Mari would remain at the factory until 1972, designing a variety of dishware, vases, wall plates, bowls, and figurines. She often opted for bold, colorful decor, offering a clear contrast to dark, unadorned pottery. Photo: Mari Simmulson, 1950